New York (Continued)


ny_28.jpg (21116 bytes)

I went up to a few thousand feet, and drifted west over the outskirts of Glens Falls.


ny_29.jpg (26905 bytes)
ny_30.jpg (44979 bytes)
ny_31.jpg (37914 bytes)



ny_32.jpg (34059 bytes)


I floated on toward the south, past the town of Moreau and out over the countryside. There were a lot of trees, and nowhere very suitable to land. Following in the truck, David and my crew had a hard time keeping me in sight.


ny_33.jpg (13200 bytes)


ny_34.jpg (8829 bytes)


ny_35.jpg (44658 bytes)


ny_36.jpg (18041 bytes)

I released some balloons to drop in... a little too soon, as I found myself standing on treetops, thirty feet from the edge of the field.

Finally, after about an hour in the air, we spotted a largish field, and managed to get the chase truck there ahead of me.

ny_37.jpg (36216 bytes)
ny_38.jpg (50265 bytes)

A bit embarrassed, I used a drop line and managed to down into the field without any damage to my balloons.

I dropped some ballast to lift off again, then released balloons... again a little too soon, as I found myself standing on some tree branches, right on the edge of field.

ny_39.jpg (18321 bytes)


In addition to my own crew, I had accumulated the crew of another balloon that had landed nearby, as well as passersby who had joined the chase and curious neighbors. The winds were still calm, so we spent an hour letting everyone get into my harness and go up on tether.


ny_40.jpg (9043 bytes) ny_42.jpg (16485 bytes) ny_41.jpg (15260 bytes)


ny_44.jpg (19379 bytes)

Afterwards we attended the balloonist's awards luncheon, where I was awarded the Sportsman's Trophy for my unique contribution to the festival. Or possibly it was to recognize my having attended the festival three different years and only flown a single flight -- that was probably a record of some kind. Certainly I was the only balloonist who could honestly say that the one flight had been worth it.

After that, we went back to the airport, where David, Lori and Chip helped put away the helium tanks and dispose of the sandbags. They left for home, and I went back to the motel for a much-needed nap. Later I had dinner with some balloonist friends.


The next morning, I put all of my equipment into boxes and sent it back to San Diego. Then I drove down to Albany to catch an afternoon flight home. The sky was already filling with dark clouds. The forecast called for rain by evening.

rain.gif (952 bytes)rain.gif (952 bytes)rain.gif (952 bytes)


Click here to view a QuickTime slide show of this flight (4.6 MB)  QuickTime must be your default viewer for .mov files.



Celebration XVII

Crew Chief: David Tanzer
Principal Crew: Lori Bottom, Chip Paris
Chase Balloon Pilot: Dick Young
Special Thanks to Walter Grishkot, and the Adirondack Balloon Festival; and to inflation crew volunteers.

Photography: Lori Bottom, Chip Paris, Greg Livadas, Matt Volke (Glens Falls Post-Star), Barbara Bartwitz, David Lee, John Ninomiya

ny_43.jpg (38122 bytes)


[Home] [Logbook] [States of Enlightenment]